Complete information about Study Visa for Australian  Subclass 500

 Australian Student Visa Subclass 500 - An introduction 


This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognised education institution.​

 Eligibility for Australian Student Visa Subclass 500 


In order to apply for a study visa for Australia, you need to be enrolled in a course which is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
In case you are applying for a study visa for Australia from outside Australia, you have to include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with your visa application, as a letter of offer from your education provider is not good enugh.
If you are applying for more than one courses in your student visa application, you must include all Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) codes in the application.

The Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Requirement

There is a particular visa requirement for this visa known as genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement.  It is an important measure to make sure that the student visa program is used as intended b(education purposes only) and not as a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia. This requirement applies to all students.
Under GTE requirement, they consider the requirements mentioned in direction No.69. To assess this, they consider:

  • Your personal circumstances

  • Your immigration history

  • If you are under 18 years old, the intention of your parent, legal guardian or partner

  • Any other relevant matter.

English Language Requirements

You have to provide evidence of your English language skills with your visa application. If you are required to provide evidence of your English language skills with your application, failure to do so will lead to you the refusal of your visa application. The evidence provided must either be that you have either obtained a satisfactory test score in an English language test that has been approved by the Australian government or evidence of certain eligible studies in English or you may fall into an exemption category.

Click here to see what test scores are required from different English language tests.


Financial Capacity Requirements

It is a visa requirement that you must have enough money (genuinely available to you), to pay for your course fees, and travel and living costs for you as well as your accompanying family members while in Australia.
You can to demonstrate your finical capability by providing one of the following:

  • Any evidence of funds to cover your expenses for travelling to Australia and living there for 12 months plus course and schooling costs for the for school aged dependents and accompanying family members

  • Or you can provide evidence that you meet the annual income requirement

  • Or an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) form (ONLY for exchange students program)

  • Or a letter of support from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 

  • Or evidence that your spouse or parents are willing to support you and they have an annual income equivalent  to AUD 60,000 (or more) for single students or at least AUD 70,000 for students that are accompanied by family members.

Student's family members who apply after the primary applicant has been granted their visa must also provide documentary evidence of financial capacity separately which can be one of the options above


Health Requirements

You have to undergo a health examinations as part of the visa application process.

The health assessment process can take several weeks to complete. To help avoid delays, you can choose to undertake your health examination prior to lodging your visa application.

You will also need to provide a health declaration.


Health Insurance

Evidence of adequate health insurance. Health insurance must be Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
You must obtain OSHC for yourself and any accompanying dependants from at least one week before your course starts and for the duration of your stay in Australia.
If you or your agent have organised OSHC, you will need to include the name of your health insurance provider, the dates your policy starts and finishes and the policy number in your application form.
If your education provider arranged your OSHC, you will need to include the name of your health insurance provider and the dates your policy starts and finishes. You do not need to include the policy number in your application.

Character Requirements

This requirement is not limited to Australian Student Visa applicants only but everyone applying for an Australian visa must be of good character and will be assessed against the character requirements.
You may be required to provide Police Character Certificate.


English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS)

Apart from going for regular studies, you can apply to study in ELICOS (English language) in Australia. If you intend to study only ELICOS for more than 12 months, you should provide lots of information with your application showing that you want to study ELICOS for so long for genuine reasons.
There is flexibility to extend the length of ELICOS when required. However this is determined on a case by case basis.


School Students

Students can apply for a student visa to study at primary or secondary school in Australia, regardless of their country of citizenship.

 Student Visa Subclass 500 Required Documents 

Click here to see the documents required to apply for the Australian StudentVisa Sublass 500.

 Applying for the Australian Student Visa Subclass 500 

Follow the following steps for applying for this visa:

 1.   Arrange Your Required Documents

You must arrange your documents before applying for the visa. Click here to see the documents required to apply for the Australian Student Visa Sublass 500.

You must understand that this list is merely an average list, required for this purpose. The actual list will depend upon the following factors;

  • Your immigration history

  • Your nationality

  • The educational institution, you have got admission in Australia

  • The scheme under which you are applying for this visa


You will need to provide documents with your online application. Consider the following important points in this regard:

  • Non-English documents must be translated into English. If you are in Australia, your translator must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters. If you are outside Australia, contact the Australian mission in the country that issued the documents for a translator.

  • Scan all documents – both non-English documents and translated documents.

  • Attach scanned copies to your online application if required.

  • Provide certified copies of all your documents.

  • Submit all documents with your application. Not providing all required documents can lead to the visa refusal or a decision on your visa could be delayed

 2  Pay Visa Fee

You must pay the application fee when you apply or your application will not be valid. Click here to know how can pay visa fee for your Australian Student Visa Sublass 500.

 3.  Lodge Your Visa Application

Apply using our online system ImmiAccount. You can log out of ImmiAccount at any time and continue your application later. If you don’t have an ImmiAccount, you need to create one. 

 4.   After Applying for the Student Visa Subclass 500:

After you have applied for the visa:

  • Provide biometrics

  • Get health checks

  • Appear in visa interview, (only if required)

  • Wait for a decision on your visa application

Provide additional documents

After you have applied, any additional documentation you need to submit should be uploaded into ImmiAccount. If you provide your documents through any other channel, it will result in processing delays.

Tell them of changes
You need to tell them about any changes:

  • If there are any changes to your circumstances, for example change of your address, phone number or birth of a child etc.

  • If you think made a mistake on your application

  • If you feel need to provide more information with your visa application

  • If you want to withdraw your application

If you made a mistake in your visa application, you should Complete Form 1023 and for change of your circumstances your should complete Form 1022 and send them

Track and manage your application

You will need Transaction Reference Number (TRN) is a unique number assigned to each online application. You will need this to:

  • track and manage your application

  • identify your application when you communicate with us

  • check your visa entitlements.

You will need to login to your ImmiAccount for this.

 Visa Details 

What you can do on Student Visa Subclass 500

This visa is for students who want to come to Australia to study at a registered education institution.

  • You can study a CRICOS registered full-time course in Australia.

  • Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia.


Your payable visa fee will start from AUD 560

How long the visa processing takes

Depending upon your course and country, the visa processing for visa subclass 500 can take from 21 to 90 days, on average.

How long the visa lasts

This visa allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your course

Working while studying

You must comply with the state and territory laws of Australia. The number of hours you can work in Australia can be found in your visa conditions. Click here to see these conditions.

 Visa Tips 

  1. For students from high risk countries, it is recommended to get admission in a university instead of a college or technical institute, if possible. This can increase your visa chances. Such students are advised not to apply solely for English language courses, as this will diminish their visa chances.  

  2.  If there are big gaps in your previous (especially last) education, make sure you have the required proof of what you have been doing during that gap/gaps before you apply for the visa.

  3. Always select a course in Australia which is consistent with your previous education and working history.

  4. Try to use the services of a professional visa consultant before applying for any step of the visa process. This is because if you make a big mistake in your application, no one can help you after you have lodged this application.

  5. Always get an assessment of your case for a certain visa class even before making any decision.

  6. Australian government keeps on suspending different visa sub classes for certain period of time from time to time. Make sure that your selected visa sub class is still open.