Complete information about Australian Visitor Visas ETA Subclass 601

Australian Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) Visit Visa (subclass 601) - An introduction 


If you are outside Australia, holding a passport from an eligible country, you can apply online for the following visitor visa for Australia.Mostly, this visa allows you to visit Australia on multiple occasions within 12 months from the date of the grant of the visa for three months at a time.
You should apply for this visa if you intend to visit Australia:

  • As a tourist visitor, or

  • For business visitor activities, 


The Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) has replaced:

  • Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) (subclass 976)

  • Electronic Travel Authority (Business Entrant—Short Validity) (subclass 977)

  • Electronic Travel Authority (Business Entrant—Long Validity) (subclass 956).

 Eligibility for Australian (ETA) Visit Visa Subclass 601 

You might be able to get this ETA visit visa subclass 601, if:

  • you are travelling to Australia as a tourist or for business visitor purposes

  • you hold an eligible passport.

Eligible passports

To apply, you must hold a passport issued by one of the countries or regions listed below. However, if you hold a non-citizen passport or other travel document,  you are not eligible to apply for an ETA.

Eligible passports are issued by:

  1. Andorra

  2. Austria

  3. Belgium

  4. Brunei

  5. Canada

  6. Denmark

  7. Finland

  8. France

  9. Germany

  10. Greece

  11. Hong Kong (SAR of China)

  12. Iceland

  13. Ireland

  14. Italy

  15. Japan

  16. Liechtenstein

  17. Luxembourg

  18. Malaysia

  19. Malta

  20. Monaco

  21. Norway

  22. Portugal

  23. Republic of San Marino

  24. Singapore

  25. South Korea

  26. Spain

  27. Sweden

  28. Switzerland

  29. Taiwan*

  30. The Netherlands

  31. United Kingdom—British Citizen

  32. United Kingdom—British National (Overseas)

  33. United States

  34. Vatican City.

 Visitor Visa Subclass 600 Requirements 

You need to attach different supporting documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, proof of identity etc., to your visa application. You need to provide 'certified copies' of original documents, rather than the original documents, unless asked to do otherwise.

You need to make sure that the certified copies have been stamped as being true copies of originals, by a person or agency recognized by the law of the country in which you live. Moreover, all departmental offices outside Australia have a person who can certify documents, though you may have to pay a little for this service.

However, you need to provide original police certificates with your application, instead of a certified copy.
Any document not in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation and the translator in Australia must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters. If outside Australia, the translator does not have to be accredited, but he/she must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and the details of his / her qualifications and experience.

You will be responsible for all your health care costs while in Australia. You will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme. It is therefore a good idea to take out health insurance each time you travel to Australia.

 Applying for the Visit ETA Visa Subclass 601 

Follow the following steps for applying for this visa:

 1.  Lodge Your Visa Application

Family members who want to travel to Australia with you must lodge separate visa applications. You cannot include them in your application.​You can lodge your visa application either:

You can apply for this ETA online at Electronic Travel Authority.

When you lodge your application, we will give you a Transaction Reference Number (TRN). Keep a record of this so you can follow the progress of your application.

You will need your passport, an email address and a credit card to pay the service charge when you apply.

However, If you are holding an eligible citizen passport but cannot lodge your application online, you can apply at your nearest office outside Australia.

 3.   After Applying for the Visit Visa Subclass 601:

In most cases, you will be informed of the result of your application immediately. Some applications can need extra processing. If your ETA is approved, you will be given a confirmation for your records. Wait for a decision on your visa application.

 Visa Details 

What you can do on Visitor Visa Subclass 601

On ETA Visa you:

  • Can enter Australia for up to three months at a time

  • Can have a holiday or visit family / friends in Australia

  • Can study in Australia for up to three months, in some specific circumstances

  • Can work as a genuine unpaid volunteer, but only if an Australian resident would not otherwise be paid to do that type of work .

  • Can engage in business visitor activities while in Australia, provided that you:

  1. do not work for or provide services to a business or organisation in Australia

  2. do not sell goods or services to the public.

Business visitor activities include:

  • making general business or employment enquiries

  • investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing a business contract

  • activities carried out as part of an official government-to-government visit

  • participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organisers for your participation.


There is no visa application charge for an ETA. However, a service charge of AUD20 applies for online applications only.


How long the visa processing takes

The visa processing for visa subclass is only one day, on average.

How long the visa lasts

Your ETA is valid for 12 months. You can enter and stay in Australia for up to three months at a time. If you want to stay in Australia for longer periods, you can apply for another visa, such as a Visitor visa (subclass 600).

If your passport expires before your ETA, you will need to reapply.

 Visa Tips 

  1. Make sure that you fall in the category of the eligible countries before you apply for the visa. 

  2. Try to use the services of a professional visa consultant before applying for any step of the visa process. This is because if you make a big mistake in your application, no one can help you after you have lodged this application.

  3. Always get an assessment of your case for a certain visa class even before making any decision.

  4. Australian government keeps on suspending different visa sub classes for certain period of time from time to time. Make sure that your selected visa sub class is still open.