If you have (or intend to have) a relationship with an Australian - a permanent resident of Australia then we now the right visa for you.  The Australian Partner Visa or Australian Spouse Visa allows you to obtain permanent residence (PR) in Australia. You will find here the conditions necessary to obtain the Australian Partner or Spouse Visa, but also some practical advice to facilitate your steps.

Chose the visa which suits your circumstances the best.

Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)

This visa allows a person to come to Australia to marry their prospective spouse.

You must:

  • intend to marry

  • have met and know your prospective spouse

  • be the opposite sex to your prospective spouse (same-sex couples can apply for a Partner visa)

  • be at least 18 years of age.

Length of stay:
​Nine months

Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) and Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100)

Obtaining the permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) is a two stage process. To be eligible for a permanent partner visa you first need to be granted a temporary Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309). You apply for both the permanent and temporary visas at the same time and pay only one fee. If you are granted the temporary Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309), you are eligible to be assessed for the permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) about two years after you lodged your application. You will need to provide further documents for this assessment.


  • You must be 18 or over

  • For visa sublass 100, hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 309)

Length of Stay

The Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) is a temporary visa. It lasts from the date it is granted until a decision is made on your permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).

Spouse / Partner Visa Subclasses 820/801

The Partner visas (subclasses 820 and 801) allow the partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is granted first and lets you stay in Australia while the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) is processed.


To become an Australian citizen you need to:

  • be a permanent resident at time of application and time of decision

  • meet the general residence requirement 

  • be of good character

  • have a basic knowledge of the English language

  • have an adequate knowledge of the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship

  • intend to reside or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia.

Length of Stay

The Partner visa (subclass 820) is a temporary visa. It lasts from the date it is granted until a decision is made on your permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).

Please reload